This is a checklist of things that I think an operations team needs to get to a
pretty good state. By no means exhaustive, and a bit opinionated. What I think
is most important is at the top, but really should try to have all of them.
- Bug tracker/task manager
- How do you track WIP (work-in-progress) tasks?
- Customer can easily create a useful ticket?
- Version control
- CVS, SVN, git, doesn't matter which. Can you see when a file was changed, and by whom?
- Configuration management
- *Fully* automatic installs
- CI/CD system
- Deployment to production is fully automated
- Monitoring systems
- Inventory system
- Can you, in less than 5 minutes, say how many machines (physical and virtual) you have running?
- Have an update process
includes all hardware, networking devices, you name it. You'll want to know
where and how to download the updates, how to install the updates, how to
back out of a bad update, and a rough estimate of how long an update